Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Narashino in pictures

The Monday following the mega-quake, I spent part of the afternoon taking pictures of some of the more noticeable damage in my area.


This is a parking lot next to my home.

This is the closest public hall (菊田公民館) for my ward. If you look closely, you can see a horizontal crack in the lined face. The upper room must've lost a window, as a blue tarpaulin has been hanging there for the past week.

A closer look...

I wrote my account of the day of the mega-quake and its immediate aftermath in an earlier post. Here are some pictures I took several days later to help illustrate some of what I described:

This is a decent curry chain that sits directly across from Keisei Tsudanuma Station (京成津田沼駅). I remember running past this building in my suit and noticing debris on the sidewalk. When I went out to take pictures several days later, I realized the damage was pretty serious.


I mentioned an electric pole crashing into the side of an apartment building. It's been partially righted now, but you can see the points of impact it made with the streetface of the apartment building behind it.

Behind this building was the heart of the fire I described. The flames shot into the alley.


That's all that's left of the building that caught fire. The cause was a toppled chimney/furnace from the adjacent bath house (those cracks you see in the building corner in the right side of the frame belong to the bath house). I never got to visit the bath house before the mega-quake, and from what I've heard I never will.


This building is across the street from the fire. In my description, it was to my back.

This is the graveyard I stumbled into...the building in the distance suffered some serious damage...

Here's a closer shot...There was a small fire and most of the rear face (exterior) fell away. The rubble is still pebbled among the graves.

No comments:

Post a Comment